Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Realization(s)

I found this amazing blog. I don't remember how anymore, but I have read every entry all the while wondering why I was so intrigued. I think I may have figured it out:

1. She talks about what you buy being a vote. I've known that. Who hasn't been told that? But if you watch this video, you can see it. You can see plainly - by the way they live - that each thing you buy is a vote. They have decided to vote for things that are manufactured as sustainably as possible. They have decided to vote for simplicity and thoughtfulness.

2. She talks about literally pulling out what's in her trash can and analyzing it... This isn't an idea I first heard through her. Actually, there's this great guy (Bob Johnson) right here in Pittsburgh who tries to get people a little closer to their trash through his RiverCubes. I was enthralled when Bob talked about it, but I never thought to apply it to my own life. I love that... I'm always thinking, "what a cool idea!" I almost never take it in as a challenge.

3. She gets a lot of questions about how much time it takes; she is constantly asked, "what are the "costs" of going zero waste?" Heck, I mentioned the blog to a man who had changed his name to Water and he even said, "I wonder how much TIME it takes." This man was wearing a purple tie-dyed shirt with a stencil of irises on it and he was questioning this woman's (who's practically saving the planet single-handedly) lifestyle. Her answer is always that it allows time for things that are actually important because they don't have to worry about all their stuff, that her life became simpler. I've been realizing lately that in many ways I am frustrated with having so much to do that I cannot be present in the simple things: making dinner, planting seeds, cleaning the floor. What do I gain from having so many tasks, so many goals, which all seem to work against one another?

4. She talks about having the power to decide what is in our lives. I see all the time, that my job/house/car/etc. decides what I do. I am bound to these things. I choose them every day, but not consciously. Somewhere inside of me is a false assumption: This is the way life is.

So, I'm going to start thinking about choices. Spending time deciding how I will vote with my money. Choosing how I live each moment. Deciding that what I throw away is a reflection of who I am, of how I care for others as much as for myself (not to mention our Mother Earth (call me a hippie if you like)). I'm going to try it and I think I'm also going to document it, right here. Stay tuned folks.

2 comments:

  1. I am super excited about this blog, and have been asking myself a lot of the same questions...

    ReplyDelete